Billing and Disconnection
When will I receive my bill?
Bills are mailed out monthly in billing cycles.
- Meter reading route determines the date your bill is mailed and due.
- Unfortunately, we cannot accept requests for changes in billing cycles.
How do I pay my bill?
We offer a number of payment options so you may choose what is convenient for you:
- Sign up to pay your bill automatically by bank draft at no charge.
- Use the return envelope provided with your bill.
- Make a payment by electronic check, MasterCard or Visa card or ATM/Debit cards over the phone by calling 1-877-777-0215 or online at www.mtemc.com.
- Drop it by our offices in Franklin, Lebanon, Murfreesboro, Mt. Juliet, Smyrna or Woodbury, where you can come inside or use the drive-through window during business hours, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. After hours, you may use the night depository boxes at the offices or at these other locations: Fairview: City Hall; Murfreesboro: 555 New Salem Highway (MTEMC's Corporate Office); Lebanon: City Hall.
What happens if I do not pay my bill?
Your bill will clearly designate your due date, and it will include what your payment would be if you fail to pay by your due date (which includes a late fee of five percent of the first $250 owed, and one percent on amounts more than $250).
Failure to pay within 10 days from your due date subjects you to possible disconnection of service. If we have your correct phone number, you will receive an automated phone call notifying you of your delinquent bill status.
If your service is disconnected, you must:
- request reconnection by calling or coming to an MTEMC office;
- pay a disconnect fee;
- pay other fees if they apply, such as a returned check fee and/or a late payment fee;
- pay all past due amount on your account;
- make these payments at a MTEMC office between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday, or by credit card payment over the phone from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday-Friday.
What can I do if I think my power bill is too high?
First, look at your bill to check your historical electric usage and the number of days in the month. Consider any lifestyle changes you might have had (friends staying with you, a hot tub installed, etc.).
How do I read my meter?
We have a easy-to-understand description of how to read your meter here.
Why does MTEMC allow advertisements to be placed in my bills?
This is an effort to assist local charities. Proceeds MTEMC receives from the advertisements (100 percent of them) go to help local charities. Members who would rather not receive these advertisements have the option of choosing paperless billing...just call 1-877-777-9020.
Does MTEMC offer paperless billing?
Yes. To sign up, just call 1-877-777-9020.
- What's a "basic service"? and other questions about how to read your bill
- Deposits and Connection Fees
- Billing and Disconnection
- MTEMC Fees
- Tree Pruning
- TVA Fuel Cost Adjustment
- Philosophy regarding underground service
- Electric safety at home
- What's a co-op?
- Power Outages
- Electric Vehicles
- How to Read Your Electric Meter
- Green Power Switch